Ancoats 2009

 The former Ancoats Hospital started life in 1828 as the Ardwick and Ancoats Dispensary on Great Ancoats Street. In 1869 it moved to it's current location on Mill Street. At that time it was only a dispensary since it had no beds and people were treated as out-patients or visited at home. The move to larger premises on Mill Street made it possible make provision for beds and the transition into a hospital began.
Ancoats Hospital 2009.

The campaign to save Ancoats Dispensary, a splendid listed red-brick building that is threatened with demolition, is continuing with a petition organised by heritage campaigners. The derelict dispensary has long been part of the industrial fabric of Manchester and was immortalised on canvas by LS Lowry. Campaigners from HistoryME want to save the building and use it as "a platform for education and training." A petition has attracted more than 500 signatures of support and they are raising funds to save it. It was built in the late 19th century to treat patients who didn't qualify for poor law hospitals, but who couldn't afford medical bills. The dispensary is the only remaining building on the site and its Grade 2 listed required permission to be demolished. Developers Urban Splash wants to demolish the building after exhausting all other possibilities. The dispensary is in a poor state and would require up to £3m to bring it up to modern standards, according to the company. But campaigners launched on an online petition to save it that is supported by the Victorian Society. A Facebook group has also been launched. source Guardian 10/09/2012.
Anoats Manchester
Ancoats 2009
Ancoats Manchester 2009


http://www.commuterbooks.com/
abandoned warehouse

River Medlock off St Andrews St

Old Mill nr St Andrews St

No comments:

Post a Comment