CollyHurst




The name Collyhurst originally meant "wooded hill". The hill is actually largely made up of red sandstone, hence the area is known as Red Bank. Stone quarried at Red bank was used to construct the Roman fort at Castlefield, as well as several bridges over the River Irwell and the Collegiate Church at Manchester, later to become Manchester Cathedral. A burial ground for plague victims was also located at Collyhurst Clough. The district was incorporated into Manchester in 1885.
Manchester 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment